Don't miss the Self Assessment deadline

The deadline for submission of online returns for the 2011-12 tax year is midnight on 31st January 2013.

Even if you don't owe any tax you'll be liable to an automatic penalty of £100 even if you are just one day late, and this can quickly rise to over £1,000 after just three months.

Do I need to fill in a tax return?

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will contact you, usually in April, if they think you need to fill in a tax return.

You'll receive a letter which explains when you'll need to send your tax return back. If you've previously sent your tax return on paper, you may receive a paper tax return.

If HMRC hasn't contacted you, but you think you may need to complete a tax return, find out here.

You need to tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year that you need a tax return, or you may have to pay a penalty.

If HMRC asks you to complete a tax return but you think you don't need to, let HMRC know as soon as you can. You'll have to pay a penalty if you forget and don’t send your tax return in.

Check here to see if you need to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return

Return to Self Assessment

Penalties for missing the tax return deadline

Length of delay

Penalty you will have to pay

1 day late

A penalty of £100. This applies even if you have no tax to pay or have paid the tax you owe.

3 months late

£10 for each following day - up to a 90 day maximum of £900. This is as well as the fixed penalty above.

6 months late

£300 or 5% of the tax due, whichever is the higher. This is as well as the penalties above.

12 months late £300 or 5% of the tax due, whichever is the higher.
In serious cases you may be asked to pay up to 100% of the tax due instead.
These are as well as the penalties above.

Where We Work

Tayfield House
38, Poole Road
Dorset, BH4 9DW

  • Tel: 01202 755600
  • Fax: 01202 755744
  • Email:

Member of the Certified
Public Accountants
Association  (CPAA)

Additional Services

  • Budget planning & cashflows
  • VAT & Inland Revenue enquiries
  • Bank & investor financial reports
  • Property portfolio management
  • Representation at meetings with:
    • VAT
    • Inland Revenue
    • Local Authorities
    • Government Agencies
    • Banks

Business Sector Expertise

  • Building & construction
  • Charities
  • Conference & entertainment
  • Fast food
  • Hotels & hospitality
  • Housing associations
  • Legal & professional
  • Manufacturing
  • Property management
  • Rest homes
  • Retail
  • Technology
  • Tradesmen